Protecting existing rural land?

How do we get help to prevent a new housing build on rural farm land that has been let unattended for years and is now home to all sorts of wild and invertebrates?

Hello Vince101,

Two suggestions for you:

  1. Talk to your Local Environmental Record Centre to see what biodiversity data is available for the area. See here: There is a search tool on that site to help you find the centre local to you.
  2. Talk to your local planning authority to see what regard there has been for the conservation of biodiversity in the planning process. All local authorities have a legal duty to “have regard for biodiversity”. See here: Biodiversity duty: public authority duty to have regard to conserving biodiversity - GOV.UK (

Hope that helps,