FSC Identikit: control over text formatting

Hi, nice forum!

I have a question / feature request (?) regarding control over text formatting…

If you put a hyperlink into an image description, then when it is displayed in the taxon details images window, it comes out grey against a black background which is hard to see. Is it possible to control the text colour here? I have used hyperlinks a lot, so people can dig into details of the collection that’s been photographed.

Will try uploading an example…

Example%20image

Thanks,

Clare

You can control the style of elements using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). There is a CSS file called ‘site.css’ which is in the same folder as vis.html. You can edit this to add styles. To control the styles of links within those galleria image captions, you could use something like this:

.galleria-info-title a:link{
    color: white
}

.galleria-info-title a:visited{
    color: red
}

.galleria-info-title a:hover{
    color: yellow
}

.galleria-info-title a:active{
    color: green
}

The link, visited, hover and active parts give you fine-grain control over how the links look (see here https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_link.asp) and the .galleria-info-title selector ensures that these styles are only applied in the circumstance of the gallieria image captions.

1 Like

Hi Clare, welcome to the forum! :wave:

In addition to Rich’s advice, also have a look at your browser’s DevTools to play around with and discover the CSS on a page. Here’s an interactive tutorial for Chrome:

Note you can edit CSS in DevTools, but you can’t really save it (you sort of can in certain circumstances, but it’s complicated). So once you’ve figured out what you want to do, then go to your source CSS file and edit that.

1 Like

Thanks Rich & Charles, this is really helpful. I will have a play and see if I can get these hyperlinks styled to my liking :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was quick Rich - THANK YOU!

2 Likes

No worries! (Full disclosure - Clare emailed me first and I asked her to post here instead, so I was waiting for it to appear!)

3 Likes

Done it! Easy when you know how, eh? Have spent too much time this morning choosing colours to match the waxcaps :rofl:

My galleria links are super pretty now.

Capture

Thanks guys!

3 Likes

Beautiful! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve only just seen this (because I’m a bit of a forum numpty). It does look lovely.

1 Like