Create Heatmaps of diversity, not number of records

I think I’ve been using the FSC BRT to make maps of the density of points. However, I want to make maps of the density of number of different species. My dataset contains many different species, genera, and even orders instead of just one species. How can I do this? From the styling menu, do I click “richness” instead of “records”?

From the styling menu, do I click “richness” instead of “records”?

Yes exactly that. Richness is a count of all the unique values in the taxa column of your input table (CSV or whatever). So bear in mind that the same taxon expressed differently, e.g. because of a typo or a different version of the name was used, will be counted as different taxa by the plugin. It doesn’t have any ‘intelligence’ about taxa - they’re just words to the plugin. That means that different subspecies will be counted as different taxa in a ‘species richness’ map - so oftentimes it is necessary to do a bit of tidying on your input data first - perhaps creating a new column in which you generate values to represent that taxa at the level you are interested in.